HIIT #2 is HERE!
Now that summer has officially begun, do you workouts change? Do you modify your workouts to be outside? Does the time of day you are active also change?
During the summer months, I can’t be bothered with the gym (unless the temperature is through the roof and AC is a necessity!). Instead, I use my backyard as my workout space. I have designed a series of 4 weekly HIIT routines that you can take anywhere: backyard, patio, park, basement, etc.
Outdoor Workout Series for the upper body
This week’s routine will target your upper body: shoulders (deltoids), arms (biceps and triceps), core (abdominals and upper – mid back). All these exercises will combine multiple muscle groups so you get the most out of your workout!
Complete the routine 3-4 times through. Rest 1-5 mins between sets. As always, engage a strong, stable core, neutral spine and shoulders are retracted and stable. Listen to your body and do what will make you feel best for you.
- Can be modified with hands on bench
- Starting in plank position, touch R hip to the ground, then touch L hip to the ground.
- Maintain an engaged core.
- 45s AMRAP
- Beginner: Start with lifting only the arm, keep both feet on ground for increased stability.
- Moderate to advance: lift arm and opposite leg up while maintaining stability as much as possible. Resist the hip’s urge to rock side to side.
- Alternate L and R sides
- Start in downdog. Visualize your hips reaching up towards the sky. Then bend knees and transition into crouching bear (similar to ‘tabletop’ pose in yoga but knees are off the ground).
- Maintain core engagement